Get ready for the Fourth of July with this fun (and free!) Red, White, and Blue Butterfly SVG Cut File! You can use this design with your Cricut or Silhouette machine to make all kinds of adorable patriotic crafts this summer. This post may contain affiliate links, which help to support this site at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
I’m not sure how, but it is almost July already! That means for my friends here in the States, it’s nearly the Fourth of July!
The SVG Design squad is back this month with a collection of free SVG cut files perfect for celebrating Independence Day. If you scroll to the end of this post, you will find 19 more free cut files full of red, white, and blue style.
For my design, I wanted to do something with a subtle Fourth of July flair. It definitely doesn’t scream stars and stripes. BUT – when cut from red, white and blue vinyl, and with the star details, I think it gives off an understated patriotic vibe.
DIY Stencil Dyed Red, White, and Blue Butterfly Tee
I used this design to create a simple little butterfly tee with my daughter. She has been really into tie-dye lately, so we decided to do a little twist on the trend using this butterfly design and some tie dye spray.
Stencil Dyed Butterfly Tee Supplies:
- Plain White T-Shirt
- Fabric Spray Dye
- Adhesive Vinyl
- Silhouette, Cricut, or other Electronic Cutting Machine
- Weeding Hook
- Transfer Tape
- My Free Red, White, & Blue Butterfly Cut File (Download from the link at the end of this post)
How to Make a Stencil Dyed Butterfly Tee for the Fourth of July
It’s really easy to make your own cute butterfly tie dye tee for the Fourth. You can watch a little video demonstrating the process below, or keep scrolling to read.
- First, cut the design from adhesive vinyl using your cutting machine. Make sure to measure the shirt and scale your design to fit. (Read more about working with adhesive vinyl here.)
- Weed out the excess vinyl from around your design, and apply transfer tape to the top. (Read more about working with transfer tape here.)
- Put a piece of cardboard in your t-shirt to prevent the dye from soaking through to the back. Protect your work surface from overspray with more cardboard or a drop cloth.
- Place the butterfly decal on the front of the shirt and remove the transfer tape.
- Shake up the fabric dye spray and spray it over your design. We used navy blue, lighter blue, pink, and red spray dyes.
- After the dye has air dried, you will need to heat set the dye by ironing over it or throwing it into your dryer for about 20 minutes.
Free Red, White & Blue Butterfly SVG Cut File
Ready to grab your free cut file?
Before downloading your cut file, please pin the image above! Spreading the word about our free cut files helps to keep them free! 🙂
Please Note: This cut file is free for personal use only (making things for yourself or as gifts). If you would like to use these designs for products you make and sell, you can purchase a limited commercial use license in my shop HERE.
When you click the link below, a ZIP file containing the SVG, DXF, EPS, and PNG versions of the cut file will download. You will need to unzip the file before opening the cut files in your cutting machine software.
Note for Silhouette Users: Remember that you need the Designer Edition of Silhouette Studio to open SVG files! You can open the DXF and PNG versions of the design with the basic edition of Silhouette Studio. Read more about working with different file types and your Silhouette.
Want more cut files perfect for celebrating Independence Day? This collection is extremely cute, so get ready to start clicking and downloading!
20 Free Fourth of July Cut Files
- Stacked 4th of July Card – The Bearded Housewife
- It’s Lit – Tam’s Sweet Life
- Oh My Stars – Crafty Life Mom
- Let Freedom Ring – Lettered by Stephanie
- Here for the Fireworks – Liz on Call
- Party in the USA – Polka Dotted Blue Jay
- USA Since 1776 – The Walnut Street House
- Patriotic LOVE – Tried & True Creative
- Stars and Stripes Forever – Spot of Tea Designs
- Layered Wreath – Maggie Rose Design Co.
- Star-Spangled – Crafty Life Mom
- Stars and Stripes Border – Studio Xtine
- Patriotic Food Toppers – Amy Robison
- Red, White, and Blue Butterfly – Persia Lou (You’re here!)
- Party Like It’s 1776 – Gina C. Creates
- Cute Star Pledge of Allegiance – Pen + Posh
- Ready to Sparkle – Sunshine and Munchkins
- Red White and Blue Flowers – Crafting Overload
- America the Beautiful – Poofy Cheeks Blog
- All American Family – Simply Made Fun
You can find even more free Fourth of July SVG cut files in last year’s collection of designs.
Happy Fourth of July and Happy Making!
Want more free cut files?