Learn how to make your own magical color shifting tumblers using color changing vinyl! This post contains affiliate links, which help to support this site at no extra cost to you.
Looking for a really fun vinyl project perfect for hot summer days? Let’s make some cute color changing drink tumblers!
These color changing drink tumblers are a couple of the projects I made using the Expressions Vinyl July 2021 Mystery Box, but you can still make these even if you didn’t get the box! I will walk you through everything you need to make your own below.
DIY Color Changing Drink Tumblers
Color Changing Adhesive Vinyl that reacts to cold temperatures is the perfect material to use with drink tumblers that will be filled with icy drinks on hot summer days. Color Changing vinyl can make your tumbler crafts extra fun!
You need just a few supplies to make your own color changing craft magic!
DIY Color Changing Tumbler Supplies:
- Blank Tumblers (Single wall tumblers work best with color changing vinyl. You can even get color changing tumblers! My pink color changing tumbler came from Michaels.)
- Cold Color Changing Vinyl (I used the Blue Color Changing Vinyl from Expressions Vinyl)
- Coordinating Adhesive Vinyl (I used Pink Opal for the Butterfly cup)
- Transfer Tape
- Weeding Tool
- Scraper Tool
- Life’s a Beach Cut File and Stained Glass Butterfly Cut File (both of these designs are available in my Summer Love Bundle)
How to Make Color Changing Tumblers with Adhesive Vinyl
I have a detailed video tutorial explaining how I made the tumblers you can watch below, or keep scrolling for written instructions. (P.S. I would love if you subscribed to my youtube channel for more crafty videos like this one!)
If you are brand new to working with vinyl, be sure to start with my beginner’s guide to adhesive vinyl right HERE.
- Start by opening up your cut file design in your cutting machine software. Measure your cup and scale the design to fit on your cup.
- Cut each layer of your design from the various vinyl pieces.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape about the size of your design. Layer the pieces of your design onto the transfer tape starting with the top layer and ending with the color changing layer. You can read more about layering adhesive vinyl decals right HERE.
- Finally, apply the decal to your cup. For curved surfaces such as cups, I recommend using the hinge method.
- Burnish on the decal with your scraper tool, remove the transfer tape, and enjoy that color changing magic!
Your new color changing tumbler is sure to be a new house favorite! Have you tried out color changing vinyl before? If so, tell me about it in the comments!
Until next time, Happy Making!