A couple years ago, I made hot chocolate on a stick as neighbor gifts. They were super yummy topped with homemade marshmallows. This year I decided to try them again – this time with a twist.
I added a swirl of yummy salted caramel to my marshmallows, and they are super delicious melted into a cup of rich hot chocolate.
I finished my treats off with cute little tags that you can download and print off for your own treats. Here’s how to make your own:
Hot Chocolate on a Stick
Slightly adapted from Makes and Takes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 fourteen oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups chocolate chips (the first time I made this it was a little too dark for our tastes, so this time I used 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate, 1 cup semi-sweet, and 1/2 cup 60% dark chocolate)
- 1 four oz dark chocolate bar of chocolate broken into pieces
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or other flavoring), optional
- Prepare 8×8″ pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Add cream and sweetened condensed milk to saucepan and warm over medium heat until it begins to steam, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and shiny. Add vanilla or flavoring, if desired.
- Pour/spread into prepared pan.
- Let set over night (or about 12 hours) before cutting. Cut into 36 squares.
Salted Caramel Marshmallows
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Begin by making the salted caramel. Place 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring continuously, until sugar melts, begins to turn golden brown, and all chunks are dissolved, about 10 minutes. Stop stirring and let cook for 3-8 minutes more until it darkens to a deep amber and begins to smoke. Remove from heat.
- Add butter, and stir to combine. Slowly pour in heavy cream. Sprinkle in salt and stir to combine. Set caramel aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine 3 packages unflavored gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water. Let sit while making the syrup.
- In medium saucepan fitted with candy thermometer combine sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Cook over high heat until the syrup reaches 240 degrees.
- With the whisk attachment and the mixer on slow speed, slowly pour the syrup into the gelatin. Turn the mixer to high speed and whip the mixture until it is opaque, fluffy and nearly tripled in size. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Generously dust 8×12 glass pan with powdered sugar. Pour marshmallow into pan. Spoon the salted caramel on the top of the marshmallow mixture. Use a knife to swirl the caramel into the marshmallow. Smooth top and dust with powdered sugar. Let marshmallow sit uncovered overnight. Cut into squares the same size as the hot chocolate blocks. Coat marshmallows with powdered sugar to keep them from sticking to everything.
To put your hot chocolate sticks together, push a marshmallow onto a lollipop stick, and then add a hot chocolate block. Put each stick in a little cellophane bag and tie with bakers twine or ribbon on top.
Cut the tags out, punch a hole in the top, and tie them onto your hot chocolate sticks. They make a perfect little gift stuffed into a mug.
Come back tomorrow for another printable perfect for any gift tucked into a mug.