It’s December, friends! The countdown has officially begun. We started our Christmas tree advent calendar this morning, and tonight we will kick off the book advent that I have been wanting to do for years. Yay! I am so, so excited for this!
If you haven’t seen a book advent before, the idea is to wrap up twenty-four Christmas books, then open and read one each night before Christmas. We already had a good number of Christmas books that we have collected over the years, so I didn’t have to buy too many to get twenty-four. I wrapped up a Bible for our twenty-fourth book so we can read the Christmas story on Christmas Eve.
I printed off number tags that I attached to the books using washi tape (Numbering the books allowed me to spread out the new books so we don’t get them all at once). Then I stuck them in a cute basket and nestled them under the (partially decorated) tree.
- The Jolly Christmas Postman
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- A Wish to Be A Christmas Tree
- Olivia Helps with Christmas
- The Polar Express
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas
- The Night Before Christmas
- The Little Christmas Elf
- Disney Christmas Storybook Collection
- The Sweet Smell of Christmas
- Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
- Mortimer’s Christmas Manger
- Merry Christmas, Curious George
- Sofia the First Holiday in Enchancia
- The Twelve Days of Christmas
- Ten on the Sled
- Olive, the Other Reindeer
- Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree
- The Christmas Wish
- Samurai Santa
Tonight the kids will be opening The Jolly Christmas Postman, and I can’t wait. The Jolly Postman was one of my favorite books as a kid, and I know they are going to love it!
UPDATE: Check out another version of our book advent HERE.
Have you done a book advent in your family? What Christmas books do you love?