- yarn (I recommend a bulky weight yarn for this)
- a piece of wire (or a large paper clip opened up)
- round-nose pliers
- spray paint (optional)
- Wrap yarn around four fingers with fingers spread apart.
- Keep on wrapping (for a bulky, fluffy pom pom, you are going to want to wrap a whole lot).
- Push a separate piece of yarn between your two middle fingers and wrap around your bundle.
- Tie it tight!
- Cut all those loops open.
- There’s a big messy pom pom.
- Give it a little hair cut to even it out.
Starting at one end of your wire, use the round-nose pliers to shape the wire into a spiraling triangle shape. Using the pliers, grab the wire where you want it to bend and then bend the wire around the pliers. This will give your wire a nice, smooth bend.
When your holder is in the right shape, you can give it a quick coat of spray paint if you want. I, of course, had to make mine gold. Then just stick the straight end right into the tight middle of the pom pom.
And that’s it! Your pom pom picture holder is all ready to go. This little guy won’t hold anything too heavy, but it is perfect for displaying instagram prints or little love notes.
Comments + Project Love
Amy W says
Love these. I could just see three in a row holding simple elegant pics. So fun!
Amy @ Homey Oh My! says
I think this is the first time I'm really learning how to make a giant pom. So. Easy. !! I love this idea!! Mad cute.
Britni Vigil says
This is so cute Alexis! I'm definitely using this to hold food labels for one of my parties in the near future!
Katie Nathey says
LOVE these! I am a bit obsessed with pom poms right now and never would have thought to make one as a picture holder!
I used to make these pom poms as a kid. What a fun and colorful idea for holding photos. I love it! It would be a perfect teacher gift.
Krista thehappyhousie says
These are so adorable Alexis- I agree that they would make a perfect teacher gift!! Pinning and sharing:)